8.07.2007

Curiosity CAN kill a Donna

I have a new addiction, of the worst sort. Genealogy. It was a complete accident too. I have actually listened to friends of mine go on and on about their own addiction in tracking down all the branches of their family tree and thought they were crazy. I did not inhale! Then, one night when I was supposed to be studying but ended up googling and playing around on eBay instead, I stumbled upon a genealogy website that caught my eye. Something on the front page caught my attention and I started reading. Then, of course, my fingers started googling away. I ended up at ancestry.com and started entering what I knew. I thought I could just play around with it and not actually subscribe. NOT! I put in some information my mother-in-law told me about her family and the next thing I knew there where these little twitching leaves all over the place which meant they had some cool morsel of information about my family but were going to dangle it in front of my nose like a carrot.....until I subscribed. It also had some sort of record of my husbands grandfather being in the army. So I told my husband about it all while he was sleeping and he handed over his visa without the slightest qualm! Really. He said, "here, charge whatever you need to" and rolled back over. I started gathering up all the information they had available and before I knew it I was in Ireland, then England....... and Scotland!! My family wasn't so easy and I've been chiseling away at the minds of old people trying to get details ever since. Now I sit here awake in the middle of the night because INQUIRING DONNA'S NEED TO KNOW! NOW!

There is no way I can sleep when I have a website that allows me to search endless records. Every now and then I get a break and find something that works. Then I call my parents and jog their memories. Then I can sit back and listen to the stories roasting over an open chestnut. Sometimes the stories don't relate to anything but bad backs and sore feet but sometimes I get something I can use. I've tracked down graveyards and found out about relatives I never even knew I had and about children that died to soon. I also found out that tomb stones have "type-o's" too. Now that I've shook the dust loose from the nooks and crannies of my dad's mind he has started to write his autobiography. I am sure it will be primarily about hunting bears and other critters. I wonder what he will called it? "how to get yourself killed in 3 easy steps"?

Now though, I have to pry myself away from all of that new knowledge and get some sleep...... and tomorrow I have to try to study in between 4 doctor and orthodontist appointments. Crazy me scheduled before I checked my calendar. I'm hoping though that they will figure out what's up with my stomach.

2 comments:

Rebekah L. said...

so...did you find out whats wrong with your stomach?

Donna said...

No, not yet. I'm taking medicine for acid reflux and waiting to hear what how the lab work comes out.

Welcome

.