4.29.2007

My book of days

Click the title to check out my newest project, My book of Days. I also added it to my links.

I used to have this neat little book that had a space for every day of the year like a regular day book but it didn't matter what the year was. When something memorable happened in your life you could just write it in on that day with the year. As time went by and the book got filled I had this neat little book of wonderful memories. It's around here somewhere still but it was packed up in a box when we moved and I never unpacked it. There wasn't enough room to keep adding to it anyway but it was neat to read back through. I remember after my father in law died and I was so terribly sad. I came across that book and was just flipping through it and read the entries about the birth of my son Jared and then some of the cute little things he did thoughout the first years of his life. I was amazed to see how many times I wrote about Jared and his grandpa together. Jared was only 3 when his grandpa died but they did so much together in that time! They called each other "Pard" for partner as if they were cowboys on a ranch. When Jared was just shy of one year old he would hear a big truck drive by and would say "pa-pee come-ing" or Pa-pee go work". Sometimes Grandpa would come by and take his little "pard" for a ride in the big truck. After reading through all of those entries I wrote a poem that covered that whole time and in the end I realized the time really is of the essence. We need to treasure each day because we are not gauranteed tomorrow.

Here is the poem I wrote for Jared and his Grandpa.


When the wind blew

The wind was blowing
When you were born in the spring.
I watched the treetops swaying
from my hospital bed as you lay on my chest.

It was blowing when you were one,
Running though the grass,
Picking dandelions for Papa.
Papa always smiled when he watched you play.
Sometimes you made him smile a tear
And he would rub it into his calloused hand.

The wind was blowing when Papa died.
The rain poured down with our tears.
You drew Papa a picture to help him get better,
but he never did.

Yesterday, the wind was blowing.
The dandelions blew like snow in the air
And swirled above the soccer fields.
You taught your brother how to kick the ball
And how to run faster than the wind.

I smiled as I thought of Papa smiling at you,
That first day when the wind blew.

Copywrite- Donna Capps

1 comment:

Rebekah L. said...

Dang it, I left Alaska just a couple hours before her baby was born. I wish i would have had more time up there, I wanted to meet up with you and Linda for lunch. Maybe next time.

Welcome

.