1.06.2006

Poetry

I haven't written anything in a long time it seems. I just haven't had much inspiration I guess. Since the beginning of the new year I've been doing a lot of reflecting. I keep rolling over old memories that I thought where long gone. My sister is in Texas and my brother in Alabama but it seems like worlds away from here. We certainly don't talk much anymore. I wish we could be closer.

Today I was watching my boys playing together and was suddenly hit by a rush of emotion. I can't stand the thought of them growing up and leaving home. One thing that gives me confort is that I've worked hard at keeping my family close. I know my boys love each other and they love us. I know this family wont just drift apart.


Don’t grow up on me

Two big brown eyes
And two slightly smaller
Sparkled as laughter filled the room
My sister had the biggest smile
Mine only slightly smaller then.
I loved it when she curled my hair
And dressed me up and let me spin.

When I was just five
I couldn’t understand
Why when big sisters grow up
they get their own wings
And they fly away from home.

A sly grin and a can of pop
And brown hair like mine only shorter
My brother always looked so cool
He tore down hills on Dad’s 3 wheeler
but I always came out on top
‘Cause my brother always took good care of me
And beat up mean boys at the bus stop.

Then when I was 16 years old
I learned to understand
When big brothers grow up
they get their own wings
And they fly away from home.

Two big brown eyes
And two slightly larger
Toss baseballs out on the field
They jeer and then laugh
Slapping high fives in the air
They don’t know just what they’ve got
And It seems so unfair.

I’m not sure how old I’ll be
But I’ve learned to understand
Those boys will grow up and get their own wings
And fly away from home.

DC 1/6/2006

No comments:

Welcome

.